“I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply ALL my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy.” Og Mandino

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

If your ass hurts, quit sitting on it and get moving!

Well beyond the recovery stage from MOMAR and time to get moving again. I can tell because my hips hurt and I'm having back spasms. Curse you AS!

I can swallow pain meds until my stomach churns but by far the best treatment I've found is exercise. Motion, movement, blood flow, oxygen, tissues stretched and strengthened. The curse of being an undergrad - hours spent in chairs hunched over books and journal articles and computer screens. I'm sure the human body was not designed to sit in chairs.

I've a few months to go until the Iceman in February so I can take some time to power walk a good base and start running harder and longer distances. Good thing I have an iTouch with loads of memory 'cause running that track at the NSC is going to get really boring really fast. Ah, but there is always snowshoeing! Oh, wait, we need snow. That will come soon enough.

I love that post-exercise feeling. It's a great sense of accomplishment.

See you on the trails,
Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment